16 mei 2010

Love is all at the Butterfly ball





Some of you might know this book, but I had never seen it before. Beautiful, narrative illustrations full of fantasy. While googling I discovered this artiocle on Wikipedia:

The Butterfly's Ball, and the Grasshopper's Feast is the title of a poem by William Roscoe, written in 1802, and telling the story of a party for insects and other small animals.
Two anonymous sequels were The Peacock 'At Home' and The Lion's Masquerade and the Elephant's Champetre, both credited to "A Lady", and describing similar parties for birds and large mammals.
The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast is also the title of a 1973 picture book, loosely based on the poem, by Alan Aldridge and William Plomer. This greatly expanded and altered the original work, focusing more on the animals' preparations for the Ball. Aldridge went on to create two more books based on the sequels; The Peacock Party and The Lion's Cavalcade.
An animated short based on Aldridge's illustrations, but once more focusing on the Ball itself, was made in 1974, with Roger Glover writing the accompanying song Love is All, based on the song Love's All You Need mentioned in the book (which may, in turn, have been a reference to The Beatles' All You Need Is Love). This was supposed to lead to a full length animated film, which did not get made. However, Glover had written a full soundtrack, which was released as an album (See Butterfly Ball.)


I didn't know that the video for 'Love is all' was based on this book, it's one of my most favorite videos ever! What a coincidence.
So, without further ado! Roger Glover' Love is all:

3 opmerkingen:

  1. This is my sister's favourite book, along with the peacock's party; My mum bought them for my daughter Savannah too. Lovely!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Nice! I bought this book a while ago in a second hand bookstore. I had never seen it before and was surprised to see the connection to the song and the video.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Beatles artist Alan Aldridge did a stunning magazine cover Deepak Chopra's MYMAG check it on the home page MYMAG.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Thanks for visiting Turning Pages. I refresh this blog almost daily so check out my new posts. I'd love to hear what you think so please leave me a message. Thanks, and hope to see you back soon!

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...